Saturday, March 29, 2014

Irish Red Ale, Take 2

Since Midwest Supplies was kind enough to send me the correct specialty grains for the Irish Red Ale, I decided to do a second batch. I didn't expect a grain replacement since I didn't catch the mistake before I started the last batch. Great customer service from them as the instructions say they can't fix mistakes after the kit is used. Anyhow, the grain comes pre-crushed, so I had to use it soon or it would have dried out or molded. So I sourced the rest of the items locally that would have been in the kit. Only change I made was to buy one can of amber extract as I had a can of Golden Light extract that I needed to use. Recipe called for 6 pounds, these two cans gave me 6.6, so it will have a slight bump in ABV. It will be interesting to see the difference between the two batches based mainly on the different specialty grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment